Though it’s been hotly debated in bars across the country, the results are in: drinking is good for you! Well, that may not be 100% accurate, but when it comes to wine, 1-2 glasses a day has been shown to have fantastic health benefits. As though you need a reason to sit back and drink up.
- Lowers Risk of Heart Disease: The antioxidants in red wine, called polyphenols, reduce the risk of blood clotting by keeping blood vessels flexible.
- Helps Control Blood Sugar: Resveratrol, found in the skin of red grapes, has been shown to regulate blood sugar as well as lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Improves Brain Function: Resveratrol also hampers “the formation of beta-amyloid protein, a key ingredient in the plaque found in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s.” Enjoy a glass of red wine with dinner each night to keep your mind sharp.
- Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Red wine has been shown to balance blood glucose and insulin levels, which significantly lowers the risk of developing diabetes.
- Prevents Cancer: Apparently there’s nothing resveratrol can’t do. This compound has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in the human body.
- Slim Your Waistline: That’s right, drink up to stay slim! Resveratrol actually prevents the growth of fat cells in the body. Yes please!
- Promotes Youthful Skin: Because of the high antioxidant levels found in grapes, having one glass of red wine daily helps fortify skin cells. Exercise moderation, though; too much alcohol has a dehydrating effect, causing skin to look dry and brittle.
- Longer Life: Wine drinkers live longer than their beer drinking counterparts. If ever there was a reason to open a bottle and raise a toast, this is it!