It’s the new year and you’ve resolved to be the healthiest version of yourself possible. Eating the right combination of foods pre-workout is instrumental to how your body performs, and nourishing your body with the right fuel will fast-track your fitness resolutions. Choose foods from any of the following categories to fuel your body for peak performance.
Fruit: Eat any of these body healthy fruits 20-30 minutes before a workout for instant energy.
- Banana: Loaded with potassium, iron, and vitamin A, banana’s are a perfect source of natural energy.
- Berries: High in antioxidants, a bowl of strawberries or blueberries provide a heart-healthy boost to your sweat session.
- Orange: Foods that contain vitamin C help metabolize fat faster and allow your body to burn calories easier.
Grains: Whole grains, (not to be mistaken for processed cereals and bread), provide the body with a constant source of energy. Loaded with protein and carbohydrates, the powerful nutritional combination of these foods make them ideal for distance runners.
- Quinoa: This gluten-free, protein packed whole grain helps sustain energy during extended workouts.
- Oats: Invest in gluten-free oats to avoid insulin spikes and inflammation.
Protein: Great for energy, endurance, and muscle-building, eating a little extra protein before and after intense workouts helps fuel gym sessions and encourages faster body recovery.
- Nuts: A handful of almonds or walnuts are a great source of protein and healthy fat.
- Egg Whites: Whip up a pre-workout omelet, providing the body with protein and essential B vitamins, which help convert food into energy.