In 1900, the average American consumed 5 lbs. of sugar per year. In 2010, the average person consumed approximately 150 lbs. of sugar per year. This shocking leap in sugar consumption is one of the main culprits in today’s current health crisis. With heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and depression skyrocketing, cutting out refined sugar is the number one thing you can do to protect your health.
Here are the Top 8 Health Hazards of Sugar:
- Addictive: Food companies spend BILLIONS of dollars researching and testing the exact amount of sugar it takes to trigger addictive responses in the brain and body. Just a couple bites a day of sugar-laden junk food is all it takes to release an opiate-like substance in the body, creating a vicious cycle of addiction and cravings.
- Increased Cancer Risk: Sugar creates an acidic environment in the body; creating the perfect breeding ground for cancer. Cancer cells are also attracted to glucose, making sugar it’s number one fuel.
- Toxic: Eating sugar damages your pancreas, suppresses the immune system, and depletes your body of minerals, leading to multiple health problems, including but not limited to allergies, arthritis, gallstones, lupus, psoriasis, and osteoporosis.
- Chronic Illness and Disease: Heart disease, cholesterol, hypertension, candida, and hypoglycemia are all associated with sugar consumption. Inflammation caused by refined sugar consumption directly cause chronic disease and metabolic problems.
- Obesity: Sugar spikes levels of insulin in the body, the hormone that regulates the body’s metabolism, causing the body to store fat rather than burn it.
- Mental Health: Irritability, mood swings, depression, and ADD/ADHD are all linked to sugar. Cut out the sugar to balance your body, calm your mind, and soothe your spirit.
- Skin Problems: In addition to accelerating the signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles, sugar also impairs the detoxifying function of liver, which leads to blemishes, acne, and skin irritation.
- Dental Problems: Last but not least is dental problems. Added sugars found in nearly EVERY processed food erodes tooth enamel, weakens teeth, and leads to cavities. You already know how expensive dental work is; now you can avoid it and keep that gorgeous smile!
It’s important to note that sugar found in fresh fruit is not the same thing as refined sugar added to drinks and processed food. Sugar found in fresh fruit is also accompanied by vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytonutrients; everything your body needs to function at its best. Refined sugar, on the other hand, has absolutely NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE and actually robs your body of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, vitamin B, potassium, and magnesium.
If you struggle with sugar addiction or emotional eating, Eat Clean Health provides support and guidance to break the cycle. The 14 Day Detox is designed to flush toxins (ie: sugar) from the body, lose unwanted weight, increase energy levels, reduce inflammation, and get your body back on track. This step-by-step guided program helps reset eating habits through whole foods, which balances your body and boosts your metabolism. Nourishing your body with proper foods is the absolute best way to look radiant, feel energized, and streamline your body.
Contact Eat Clean Health today to get started and get healthy!