I frequently hear clients declare “I need to eat less fat.” And while that may hold true in relation to their consumption of trans-fat acids, hydrogenated oil, and certain types of saturated fat, the human body actually needs fat in order to function properly. Fat helps the absorption of vitamins, promote skin health, boosts the immune system, and helps control inflammation in the body.
As it relates to weight loss, it simply comes down to this: Just because you want to LOSE FAT doesn’t mean you shouldn’t EAT FAT. Healthy fats not only keep you satiated, they also help you balance your mood, fight fatigue, and shed pounds.
As with any food, the sources of fats you consume determine their health benefits. The following foods are 5 fats for a fit body, providing deliciously wonderful sources of good-for-you fat:
- Avocados: Rich in folate, fiber, and vitamin E, this super food helps prevent heart disease, improves skin tone, and naturally cleanse the body of metals and toxins.
- Seeds: A great source of minerals, such as magnesium, selenium, copper, iron, and zinc, seeds are loaded with fiber, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids. Add chia, flax, pumpkin, or sunflower seeds to smoothies or salads for a fat-healthy boost.
- Coconut: In addition to being unbelievably delicious, coconut improves digestion, increases good cholesterol, and supports healthy kidney function and liver health. Oh, and it also boosts metabolism, increases energy, and aides in fat loss. Yep, it really is that miraculous!
- Nuts: Loaded with healthy fat, protein, vitamin E, and fiber, nuts keep blood sugar stable, boost the immune system, and lower cholesterol. Almonds and walnuts are my top 2 choices.
- Olive Oil: Rich in monosaturated fat and vitamin E, olive oil helps prevent cancer, reduce blood pressure, and fortify the body with much needed antioxidants.
Like all balanced eating, moderation is key when it comes to healthy fat consumption. Just because the list above provides the body with essential nutrients doesn’t mean you should eat an avocado covered in almond butter and sprinkled with shredded coconut. Small amounts reap enormous benefits.
Incorporating healthy fats into the diet is one of the many delicious, nutrient dense components of Eat Clean Health’s Group 7 Day Summer Detox, which launches on Monday, August 5th. Registration is now open, so visit Eat Clean Health for detailed information and don’t forget to use the promo code: ECH7SD when you checkout for a 20% discount!