“A negative mind will never give you a positive life.”
More and more studies prove that positive thinking can activate the body’s self-healing mechanism. Yahoo News reports a recent study which found that, “heart disease patients with a positive attitude were 42 percent less likely to die over a five-year period than those with a negative attitude. All patients in the study had coronary artery disease, or a narrowing or hardening of the arteries that supply blood to the heart.”
This is just one of many examples of the power of mind-body connection. Focusing on hope, nurture, and trust creates an overall state of wellness, while negative thoughts, anxiety, tension, and fear create a physiological reaction in the body, directly resulting in ill health. A positive outlook reduces levels of stress hormones and inflammation in the body; negative thinking triggers cortisol and hormonal imbalance.
Thinking negative thoughts actually stimulates a stress response in the body, leading to all sorts of health problems. When you focus on the negative, you trigger your body’s ‘fight-or-flight’ stress receptors. Though these receptors are intended to protect the body from danger in life or death situations, constantly crowding your mind with negative thoughts causes your digestive system and nervous system to malfunction, leading to illness and disease.
Issues that trigger negativity:
- Toxic Relationships
- Holding on to Resentment
- Anxiety and Fear
- Childhood Trauma
- Unsatisfying Work
- Chronic Stress
The good news is that you can change your health by changing the way you think! Starting today, start to focus your attention on the positive.
How to Focus on the Positive
- Breath: Close your eyes and let go of toxins, anger, sadness, and emotions that you’re holding onto with negative attachment. Visualize peace and if you can, breathe through it until it shifts.
- Make a List: Write down at least 3 things you’re thankful for daily, big or small.
- Spread the Love: Smile, compliment, laugh…..even if you have to fake it at first, what you repeatedly do will become regular habit. Give love and you’ll get it in return.
- Stop Complaining! Even if you have to stop yourself mid-sentence, don’t let the negative infiltrate your thoughts or your conversations.
- Identify the Source: What’s the root cause of your unhappiness and negativity? Instead of wallowing in it and allowing it to infiltrate your entire being, take action. Are you critical and dissatisfied with yourself? Your job? Your relationship? Turn the negative thoughts into fuel for change.
You manifest in your body what you think about in your mind. Your body follow where you mind goes. What you give out is what you get in return, all starting with your mind. Where will you lead it today?