There’s nothing like a good hug to invigorate your day, comfort your body and soothe a stressed soul.
Plus it’s healthy!
- Stress Relief: Big Presentation Coming Up? A strong hug helps lower cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Boost Immune System: When body and mind are balanced and cortisol is low (after giving or receiving a hug!), the body’s immune system is strengthened, helping you ward off illness and disease.
- Lower Blood Pressure: A 20 second hug can lower blood pressure and slow your heart rate, an excellent way to lower your risk for cardiovascular disease AND cuddle with someone!
- Improve Personal Connections: Hugs help nurture a sense of safety, trust and honesty.
- Alleviate Muscle Tension: If you hold tension in your body, hugging is a cozy way to relax tension in your soft tissue.
- Calm the Nervous System: The parasympathetic (‘fight-or-flight’) response in the body becomes more balanced when regular hugs are issued.
It’s been said that: “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”
So how many hugs have you given or received today? You need at least 8 to survive, but I’d recommend at least doubling that. After all, what better way can you think of to dramatically boost your overall physical AND mental health and wellness?
For additional ‘live well’ ideas as well as personalized support and information related to clean eating, balanced nutrition, and healthy lifestyle, visit Eat Clean Health and don’t forget to sign up for the Eat Clean Health monthly newsletter.