Strong, lean muscles. We all want them, and we all know what we have to do to get them, but what about muscle itself? Here are 5 fun facts about muscles that will help you appreciate the power and strength of the muscle far beyond the basic anatomy.
- You already know that water is an essential part of overall health and wellness, but what about workouts? Muscles can be up to 70% water! That’s A LOT. Make sure to replenish what you’ve lost during your sweat session.
- It’s true, muscle burns more energy than fat. In fact, the average person can burn up to 50 extra calories per day for every pound of muscle. Yet another incentive to strength train.
- Take the stairs: Just one step engages nearly 200 different muscles in your legs. Tone your glutes, quads, hamstrings and more by pretending the elevator is broken.
- If you’ve been putting in serious time at the gym and the scale is going UP instead of down, fret not; muscle tissue accounts for approximately 35-40% of total body weight, so before you freak out, keep in mind your exercise intensity may indeed be the cause.
- Muscle memory is a real thing. Even if you’ve taken time off from training, as soon as you return to the gym, your muscles will recall previous exercise patterns, helping you pick up where you left off.
There you have it. Now you understand how complex muscles really are. Interesting, yes?
For individual nutrition planning, programs and support, please visit Eat Clean Health. And don’t forget to sign up for the Eat Clean Health monthly newsletter, an excellent source of clean eating ideas and healthy lifestyle information.